Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Moving, and car accidents

About a week ago I was driving home from work when a high school kid drove into moving traffic trying to cross the street. Nobody was hurt luckily, but while there was only superficial damage to his bumper, he hit my car square in the front driver's side tire. It messed up my fenders, door, suspension, and a bunch of other stuff. I know I was not at fault, and I have the other driver and two insurance companies backing me up on that. I've been driving around in a rental car, and now have to deal with body shop guys who want money in advance, and it's a whole pain in the ass situation.

But in happy news, Writress and I found our apartment. We're moving in August 1st. We'll have a couple weeks to settle in, then we're both flying back to Boston to spend two weeks with my family. Despite the face that I've met her entire family multiple times now, Writress hasn't been able to meet my parents or brother, and I'm really looking forward to showing her around the east coast.

The new apartment is a bit on the cozy side, but it seems like a nice building full of fun people. There's no pool or fitness center, but since I don't really use those in my own building, I think I'm better off just not paying for them in my rent. It's right off the Sunset Strip in Hollywood, with lots of cool stuff nearby including a cool comic show that I've never been in before this past weekend. And luckily we didn't even need to pay for WestSideRentals or anything like that to find the place. We just took a day to drive around looking for buildings with "NOW LEASING" signs. If they didn't answer the phone on a Saturday, we took it as a sign from the gods that it wasn't meant to be.

The actual moving process will probably be a pain with renting trucks and moving furniture, and trying to get all the stuff that we need to live on. For example, neither of us has a set of dishes, since roommates provided that in the past. All of that will be somewhat time consuming and expensive I bet, but once we get past that point I think we'll both be able to save some money since we're each paying less rent than we were previously.

Once we're moved in, I'm not nervous at all. I think it's just going to be really fun living with a best friend I can share a bed with. Every day will have the freedom of "having the place all to ourselves." So hopefully I can get through the logistically tricky moving part, and on to the fun part.

After that, we can just enjoy ourselves while working towards the next step.

No comments: