Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Encouraging email

I recently finished a draft of a new pilot. Last night I registered it with the WGA, and sent it to a few people I'd been in contact with before. I expected not to get any responses for at least a week or so, if at all. Imagine my surprise when this morning I got an email back from a writer/producer on one of my favorite network shows (it's a big one, you know it unless you've been living on a desert island for the last 5 years, which would be ironic). She said she really liked it, had a couple small suggestions, and offered encouragement. Pretty much, it was as positive as she could be short of offering me a job, which I doubt she's empowered to do anyway.

It just helps to have validation from people who really know what they're talking about. I'm almost done with the pilot I was working on with my roommate. He hasn't had time to work on it really at all the past few months. It's just not a priority for him. So with his blessing I'm going to try to finish it this weekend on my own. Once I do that, I'll have two strong original pilot samples, and a Heroes spec I can use as part of a writing portfolio along with the feature script I wrote before moving to LA.

I also broke story the other night on a sci-fi pilot I'm working on with the Writress. That one will be really freaking cool, and I'm looking forward to the next steps on that.

In other news, the new job is going alright so far. There seems to be a nice solid break between when i'm at work and when I'm not, which is a welcome change from my previous job where spoiled trust fund babies thought that every moment of my life should be forfeit to them because they were "producers" despite the fact that they showed me no loyalty and did nothing to help me further my career. Considering that I was working less than minimum wage if I added up all the hours a week I was putting in for that job, that's really shitty of them. Now I have the time and energy to keep writing on the side, which I feel I can do now that I'm in a position to actually do something with my writing rather than just hone my craft.

No comments: