Friday, September 19, 2008

It's a small hilarious world

That girl who blew me off last weekend prompting my urge to go out in the Hollywood and flirt with chicks who paint scenes from famous movies? Yeah, she gave me the "I need 'me' time" phone call last night.

Ouch.

Oh well. Probably for the best. Had things progressed further I probably would have started to really like her, which would lead to some issues when she leaves town in 2 and a half months. I know for a fact that at this point in my life, I have no desire whatsoever to be in a long distance relationship, no matter how fantastic the girl might be.

And now for an amusing story.

A friend of mine is trying to make it as an actress here in Hollywood (I know, how rare). She was in a music video that had it's premiere party at a venue in Hollywood, and since I was able to walk to it, I figured what the hell and went. I almost didn't, but I'm glad I did.

Before I went to the party I had been exchanging facebook messages with another actress friend of mine (it's almost like it's a common choice of career in this town...). We hadn't seen each other in a few months and wanted to catch up, so we made plans for lunch today.

Well when I get to the music video party, who do I see across the room? My friend the actress I'm meeting later today. I don't see the girl for 3 months, and randomly bump into her about 18 hours before we're supposed to meet up. That's kind of random, and hilarious.

While I was there I also reconnected with another friend who's working as an assistant that I hadn't seen in a really long time.

Hollywood really is a small town, tucked inside a bigger city. Especially in the various circles you frequent. I'm not going to be at the crazy Playboy mansion party throwing back shots with Jeremy Piven, but for events like this thing last night where it's a whole bunch of assistant-level people and struggling actors? We all go to the same parties, especially if we're all East Coast transplants.

The way I think of it is this: It's not just an "East Coast" thing that makes us enjoy each others company. There were plenty of people in Boston I thought were assholes that I wouldn't want to hang out with. I think that instead, there's something similarly broken inside all of us.

We all thought it would be a good idea to move to the other side of the continent away from friends and family to try and make movies even though we all knew that there was a high chance of failure and that we'd likely make very little money. Call it adventurous, call it romantic, call it whatever you want. Really, I think it means we're all a little fucked in the head. But it entertains people, and it's fun being out here. So being a little fucked in the head is okay, just as long as we acknowledge it.

No comments: