Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Been extremely strapped for time

I haven't had any time to really contribute to this blog much recently. I've been really busy at work heading into the Network Upfronts this week, so there hasn't really been any downtime at the office. And when I'm not at work, I'm either writing, thinking about writing, eating, sleeping, or hanging out with Writress.

I'm about halfway through a draft of my Castle Spec, and it's gonna come right down to the wire whether it's ready for the WB workshop of not. If I don't make that deadline there is more time to submit to the Disney-ABC fellowship and NBC's Writers on the Verge, although the NBC one tends to prefer to bring diversity into the program, which as a white male from New England isn't something that works to my advantage with that particular program. I'm also doing finishing touches on the comedy pilot I'm writing with two other guys, and on the supernatural pilot I'm writing with my roommate. Assuming I stay on pace, I might be doubling the amount of writing samples I currently have available in a month, which is a good thing.

It's coming up on a year since I met Writress, and I can say now that it's the best relationship I've ever been in. My college girlfriend was the bar I used to rate other women I'd dated for years, and most fell short of that (though I'm sure part of that was also that I wasn't ready to be THAT serious with anyone for a while after breaking College Girlfriend's heart). Now, if I compare Writress to CollegeGirlfriend it just highlights the reasons I broke up with CollegeGirlfriend in the first place. While I can still see why I was attracted to and was in love with my college girlfriend, I can say with confidence that even if the ridiculous romantic comedy situation in which she left her fiance at the altar and came running to me actually happened, I wouldn't want to get involved with her again. I wish her the best, and genuinely hope we might be able to be friends down the line, but I recognize that's probably a long shot considering how she dealt with things after we broke up.

I can just be myself around Writress, and while we enjoy the same things we don't get bored with each other. There are just enough differences to keep things surprising and interesting, but at the same time we have so much in common that we're never feeling like we've been dragged into doing something we don't want to do.

Right now I'm trying to work out my vacation plans in August so that I can bring Writress back east to meet the rest of my family. The fact that I'm psyched for my parents to meet her when I hadn't even told my parents about anyone else I dated since college says something right there.

I was kind of a commitment-phobe after college, because I realized I needed to experience the world a bit more, and knew that until I was where I wanted to be in life all I would end up doing is hurting someone again if I got too serious with a girl. With Writress I can see that if we really do become something long term, I won't have to change who I am for her, and she won't have to change who she is for me. If anything, we'll be able to help and support each other, as we have been already.

I remember thinking to myself before I moved to LA that the perfect girl for me would also be a creative writer type. And somehow it worked out that just as soon as I'd worked the single-ness out of my system, along comes a girl that fits the description perfectly. I generally try to keep a somewhat objective and in ways scientific outlook on life, but at the same time I can see how things like this happen and make people believe in things like fate.

Ok, enough mushy stuff for now. I'll just leave it that I'm happy right now despite the fact that I'm broke and busy as all hell. Hopefully there will be more good news to report on here in the future.

No comments: