Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Narrowing my focus

I turned in a draft of my webseries for my writing group's showcase. Now I just need to wait and see if mine is one of the ones picked for the staged reading (actors are reading first acts and teasers for 3 or 4 scripts).

In the meantime, I'm in the process of turning my Castle outline into a Castle spec first draft. I have until the end of the month to get it finished so I can submit to the Warner Bros program again this year, and I'd rather have time to review it and not send a first draft. What this means is that the Castle script is my top writing priority.

I got a few short scenes written last night. Rather than just start at the beginning I worked on my act outs, which I think are pretty strong. I based my structure on what I'd seen in other episodes, so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, so I don't anticipate having to rework the structure too much, so that gives me the freedom to write scenes out of order if I feel like it.

Writress has been feeling kind of sick the last few days, so I've also been trying to take care of her in my off hours. She's back at work today, so currently my "crazy Cinco de Mayo plans" consist of going home after work, maybe making myself some pasta, watching an episode of something on hulu while I eat, then writing until Writress gets off work and calls me.

Having a deadline is really helping me get motivated to work on this project every day, rather than taking tons of days off. I feel really good about this outline, and I think a lot of what I've learned as a writer in the past year will come out in it, so it should end up being a stronger sample than my Heroes spec was last year. Fingers crossed.

No comments: