Thursday, February 18, 2010

Proud of my girl

Writress found out today that she starts a new job on Monday. After spending the last 6 or 7 months as a corporate minion, she now has a job as a Writer's PA on a premium cable comedy. It's the job that can lead to a writer's asst job, which can hopefully lead to a writer's job.

Most assistant jobs in LA are such that you have to pretend you're not really a writer, or keep that as quiet as possible. Jobs working FOR writers are different though. They encourage you to write in your free time. They remember starting writing, and recognize the need to a place to foster new talent. Yes, she'll be doing a lot of grunt work making copies and ordering meals, but she's doing it in a great environment, and she's really excited. I'm excited for her.

She found out about the job when I forwarded her the job posting the instant I saw it, enabling her to apply right away and get her resume in before they got so many applications they had to stop opening them. So I feel good that I helped someone I care about get ahead, and she's really grateful to me for helping her get it.

I didn't have someone like me helping me when I got to LA. I've had to learn everything on my own. That's why I try to help other people though. I'm also trying to lay a lot of ground work for my little sister when comes out here.

Now I'm just crossing my fingers that I too can catch a lucky break, and hopefully get a baby writer job on some show. I've had enough professional writers tell me I'm good enough and should be in a writer's room. Now that the economy is recovering and people are getting hired again, it's not out of the realm of possibility that I could finally step up to the next level in this town.

No comments: