Wednesday, February 18, 2009

LA Radio is really pissing me off

I just learned that 97.1 Free FM will be replaced on Friday by a top 40 station. It was only a month ago that Indie 103.1 was killed. As you can imagine, I'm pretty pissed now that LA is killing off the two stations I listen to the most.

I've listened to this station ever since I moved to LA two and a half years ago. I was listening to Adam Carolla during my one hour Los Feliz-Santa Monica commute every morning. He has a similar ranting style of humor to mine in some ways, and I enjoyed it.

I knew something was up when a few weeks ago they started having their M-F lineup work on Saturdays too. I guess they weren't pulling in enough revenue.

I think there must be an inherent problem with the ratings system. I don't know anybody who would rather listen to more top 40 than to good indie rock or funny talk radio. We seriously need to fix this problem where all the best entertainment seems to get the lowest ratings and the mind-numbing crap seems to be super popular.

No comments: