Thursday, May 14, 2009

So damn broke

I've been out of the job for a month and a half now. Which means I've had to pay rent for April and May already, which pretty much ate through my savings. June 1st is rapidly approaching, which is bad enough, but I also got word back from the IRS that I owe an amount close to one month's rent. Basically my taxes were all screwy because my old bosses were lazy and didn't pay us through a payroll company for 6 months, so half of my income was totally fine with my W2, the other half wasn't, and when I tried to reconcile that I must have done something wrong.

Ugh.

I filed for unemployment, which I didn't do last time I was unemployed, but so far all I've gotten is a couple hundred bucks. I see a flaw in the system. If the point of it is to insure that people can stay afloat while hunting for a new job, why does it take a month to get such a small amount? If I were living completely paycheck to paycheck before this happened I'd have been this screwed a month ago and the small amount I've received wouldn't have done much.

I understand it's tough, and that I'm basically getting free money from a state that's going bankrupt, but I can't help but point out the discrepancy between the goal of the program and it's actual execution.

And the thing is, it's not even like I'm failing at the job search. I just had a second interview Monday night, sent them writing samples on Tuesday, and just received word today that they want to have a follow up phone call with me. Even if I don't get the job, I'm doing what I'm supposed to.

Being unemployed sucks. Our generation has basically been put in the position that unless we sell out and go for something that pays us a ridiculous amount of money (and even that can backfire, just look at anyone you know who became an investment banker after college) there's no way to support yourself without going into crippling debt. Fix the damn economy people, I'd like to not think of a burrito as an extravagant expense.

No comments: