Monday, October 26, 2009

Boss said I can take the meeting

I spoke with my boss about my meeting. He said as long as I thought it was important that I could take it, just so long as it didn't become an everyday kind of thing, since my job is to help them out, not move my writing career forward. Surprisingly he didn't ask anything about the pilot, or ask me to print him out a copy.

Now I'm just waiting to hear back from my friend about when to have the meeting. I'm looking forward to it, because it's the first time I've really been acknowledged as a writer in this town, not just an assistant who is good with story or an assistant who writes on the side.

I know what the odds are about getting something set up, or getting staffed. But I also know that as long as I'm good and keep working, I'll eventually get there. This meeting request confirms that I'm good enough to be working in this business.

It's somewhat fitting that tomorrow marks my three year anniversary of arriving in LA. There are times when it feels like I'm getting nowhere, but I remember when I arrived thinking that I got where I wanted to be within 5 years I'd be happy. So it looks like I'm on track. I've got a good place to live, some decent industry connections, a girlfriend who's also an aspiring writer and a blast to hang out with. I think I'm in pretty good shape.

Here's hoping the next three years are even better.

P.S. Writress and I scrapped the zombie and zombie hunter Halloween costume idea for something better and nerdier. A little more money than I wanted to spend, but I can recycle the costume bits, and if we every go to Comicon they'll be great. To give you a hint, we're two characters from a favorite TV show, and I'm sometimes known as a "leaf on the wind."

No comments: