Thursday, October 22, 2009

Good News, and dilemma

I got an email last night from my friend who works at another management company. Apparently his friend who works at a prominent cable channel read and liked my most recent pilot and wants to set a general meeting with me. As you can imagine I'm pretty psyched about this, since that's the first step toward getting the meetings that get you staffed on shows.

Here's the dilemma: She wants to set a morning meeting during the week, probably around 10:30am. This is a problem with my day job, which is at a management company/agency. I haven't really discussed the fact that I'm a writer with my current bosses in detail, though I haven't gone out of my way to hide it. I'm hoping that if I'm straightforward and honest about the situation, which I had not planned on, my bosses will be cool and let me take a morning off for the meeting. While they do represent TV writers, I've heard my boss say on multiple occasions that he doesn't want to take on another hard sell, which is what I am as an untested writer.

I considered faking a doctor's appointment or something, but not only is that sketchier and more dishonest, there's the added issue that if I do eventually get a position on a show at this network, they'll put two and two together and be upset with me that I was dishonest. I think the best way to go about it is to try and have an honest conversation with them. Hopefully it'll all work out.

No comments: