Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Three Years

It was exactly three years ago today that I woke up in Las Vegas, climbed into my best friend's car, and continued our cross country drive. We arrived at the Santa Monica Pier around lunchtime. We'd gone coast to coast: all the way to the Pacific. We ordered a couple hamburgers, then started figuring out where we were going to live.

We moved into our new apartment on Halloween evening, after killing a couple hours by going to see my first movie in the Arclight Dome, Flags of our Fathers. We got into the new apartment, dropped our bags, threw on a couple impromptu costumes and walked down Hollywood Blvd to see the spectacle. We couldn't tell who was in costume, and who was just "like that."

I was totally in over my head, but in a good way. I still want to do now what I wanted to do then, and that's write something that will be remembered, that will entertain people, and hopefully make them think a bit too.

I'm happy with my life right now, and I seem to be making progress. I understand the business much better now, and I'm sure that in another three years I'll understand it on a whole other level.

And now year four begins. If this were college or high school, it'd be senior year. And I seem to recall both senior years being both eventful, fun, and a time to grow. Here's hoping for more of the same.

No comments: