Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Suddenly I'm in demand (even if I'm not getting paid)

I already had too many irons in the fire, between my new spec script, revisions on my web series, the pilot I'm writing with Writress, and the pilot I'm finishing with my roommate.

Then this past week happened.

First one of my brother's friends from college who's about 8 years older than me but does comedy out in LA contacted me. We'd hung out a bit a couple years ago when my brother was last in town, and he liked my writing, so the two of us are now working on a comedy pilot together. He's pretty driven and motivated to get stuff done, which will be nice for me. Normally in writing partnerships I'm the one who needs to push for getting work done.

Then an old coworker of mine asked me to meet him for a drink because he wanted to talk about making a short film together. We talked a bit, then got a couple ideas together that he'd like to develop, so I'll be writing that mostly on my own with his input.

Then today I got a call out of the blue. A few weeks ago I'd responded to a post on my college alumni in entertainment board about young writers who can work on rewrites for a series pitch. I'd totally forgotten about it, until the producer, an alum who mostly works in reality tv, called me up. She has an idea for a show conceived of and written by teenagers, which is innovative and fresh, but she realized that even the most talented teenagers just don't know how to write, so she would like me to take a look at what she has and punch it up/give notes.

So my plate is very full at the moment. On the bright side I do have more quiet hours to myself after work now that Writress is working so late, so I can get writing done then. I may not be able to get through some shows I'm watching or get a chance to play Mass Effect 2 until the summer, but considering I moved out here to be a writer this is probably a good use of my time.

Who knows, this may be a situation in which having so much to do makes me more productive. When I was in high school about 90% of my time was taken up by various activities and projects, and I got a lot done. When college started I had way more free time, and I got even less done. I know myself, and once I start slacking off for a day I really slack off. I get a fantastic slouch going and will plow through an entire season of a tv show in one sitting no problem. When circumstances dictate that I'm always kept busy with something I enjoy doing, I tend to get more done.

Tonight I'm going to go home from work, throw some laundry in, and either punch up my webseries script or continue breaking my Castle spec story (which is taking much more effort than other beat sheets I've done, but I think it's just because there's a more rigid structure to follow).

No comments: