Thursday, January 15, 2009

More evidence that people are fucking idiots

So we now have a similar situation to the "Beverly Hills Chihuahua as a sign of the apocalypse" thing.

Indie 103.1 fm is not just the best indie rock station in LA. It's pretty much the only true indie station I've ever heard. Rolling Stone named it the best radio station in the country.

So today pretty much everyone I know was shocked to hear that Indie was going off the air, switching to an internet only station. Apparently their ratings weren't high enough to make it on their own in this age of corporate radio.

This is why ratings suck. Fucking CSI is the most popular show in the country even though it's pretty much drivel in every single god damn episode. Crappy movies like this "Bride Wars" thing coming up will make tons of money while fantastic indie movies never even get promoted.

I don't know who these raters are. I don't know who has the Nielson boxes on their TV's. But they must be fucking idiots, and they certainly aren't people like me.

Every person I know in LA listens to Indie, and loves it. It's my favorite radio station. It felt really cool to hear fantastic music there before anyone else would, laughing when everyone on the east coast made a big deal about a band I'd been listening to for six months.

And now it has to go off the air, to be replaced by another shitty ranchero music station.

This really fucking sucks.

No comments: