Friday, March 27, 2009

Got fired today

Well, the day started like any other Friday. To be honest, work had been a bit better this week than it had been recently, although in retrospect maybe it's just that they had decided to fire me and wanted to just get off my case until they let me know. The way they went about it is still kind of shitty, but at least I'll be getting some good recommendations out of it, which is more than I can say for usual layoffs. They're still interested in me as a writer, and I even pitched them a project while I was still in the room with them, which I thought was somewhat cheeky of me, but it went over well.

Basically what it came down to is that they can tell my priority out here is to be a writer. That's what makes me a good writer, and why they always liked my creative ideas in the office. They want someone who doesn't have that ambition, who is willing to go well above and beyond the call of duty to satisfy their egos, even though my working day and night for them would not have made them better producers. They can get interns to do much of my old job for pretty much nothing, and they could tell I wasn't happy there anymore.

So I'm ready to move on. I wanted to do this anyway, and anyone who does ever read this blog will be able to tell how long overdue this was.

It'll be tough finding a new job, especially with the economy so far in the crapper, but I needed a new one. I know more of what I want to do, and I think I have the qualifications and connections that make it easier to get there now than it was back during the writer's strike when my best option was to start working for a couple guys in a pool house.

I'm going to keep writing, and I'm sure in the long run that this, like most of the "setbacks" in my life, will prove to be beneficial in the long run.

No comments: